Sunday, December 6, 2020

That Time John Oliver Used my Illustration in a Bit

Pringles Update: 

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

(Web Exclusive)




Yes, it's true. My husband Fred and I were lounging on the couch watching clips from our favorite US late-night shows one night, and John Oliver got to wondering about the Pringles guy; specifically, what his body looks like.

Joe Biden had just been announced as the winner of the 2020 presidential election, and John was feeling good. Earlier in the show he dedicated 30 entire seconds to the marvels of the octopus. It was glorious.

So as we sat there enjoying all of this, my mind got to wondering about the Pringles guy, and somehow put it together with the octopus footage we'd just seen. I sat down to draw an octopus but then thought, Oh wait, I drew one of those for duopress's 2015 book "Hello, Ocean Friends!". I found the art, pasted a Pringle head from the internet over the octopus's body, and voila: the Pringlepus was born. It was gloriously easy.

Five minutes after tweeting the thing to Mr. Oliver, I was alseep. 



I woke to frantic e-mails from my agent, Mela. "Where are you? John Oliver wants to use this image! Is that okay?"

Is that okay? Oh, yes. How fun!!

Thanks so much, John Oliver. Not only for using my art in your clip, but also for your wisdom and clarity. Fred and I are huge fans. Love the show.

All best,

Violet

No comments: